Sunday 20 January 2013

Showcase Sunday (2)


Showcase Sunday is a meme hosted by Vicky @ Books, Biscuits and Tea where you can showcase your newest books and book related swag for that week and share it with everyone.

I didn't expect to get any new books this week, but I popped into The Works and couldn't resist their 2 for £3 sale! I also got a new yoga book :)


Yoga to the Rescue Ageless Beauty is the second book by Amy Luwis. I love her first book (Yoga to the Rescue) and this is really similar. The illustrations are of normal women, and the book not only covers various yoga poses with a ton of information but it includes various routines as well. The routines are based on need/mood so you have joy, serenity, rage-a-holic and even supergirl :)

The Fifth Victim was a last minute "what else to fill the offer" pick. I've been in the mood for some crime lately so a book about a serial killer who kills in sets of five before disappearing sounds really creepy. It even has a psychic so it's not too far from my usual paranormal picks.

John Green is one of those authors I've heard a lot of great things about but never read so when I saw Looking for Alaska in the sale section for 50p I had to pick up a copy. I don't read a lot of contemporary books but I'm interested to see why he is such a well loved author so I'm hoping to read this soon.

Night School is a book I remember seeing the cover for but couldn't remember much about. The blurb is really vague so I decided to risk it and after checking online it appears that this is a mystery set in a boarding school.

Insatiable sounds awesome. I've loved Meg Cabot's writing since I first read some of her negotiator books when I was about 13/14 so I'm excited to read this. It's a retelling of Dracula (yay for books that work for my Classic Doubles challenge!) focusing on Mina Harker and it sounds awesome.

Last but by no means least is The Day Watch. It's the second in the Night Watch trilogy (the first has been on my TBR forever) and so far the last of the three made into some pretty awesome movies. I love the movies so I keep meaning to read the books. Maybe getting this will be the push I need.

So what have you got to showcase this week?

32 comments:

  1. I started on Night Watch once but never finished the first book, I may restart it again. Great haul :)

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the movies? It's rare that I go movie then book so I'm nervous about reading them.

      Thanks for stopping by Ula :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed Meg Cabot quite a bit when I was younger, too, though I haven't read anything of hers recently. And I still need to try something by John Green! Looking For Alaska sounds fantastic. Great haul, Claire! Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I read Meg Cabot too so I hope I still like her!

      Thanks for stopping by Sam :)

      Delete
  3. Night school sounds good! I have heard of The night watch trilogy, but I haven't read them. Happy reading! :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does right? I'm looking forward to reading it.

      Thanks for stopping by Mel!

      Delete
  4. Funny you should mention John Green, I actually just finished my first book by him on Friday and really enjoyed it. Hope you get around to reading Looking for Alaska soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I'm so nervous of trying him because so many people love his books. I hoping to read Looking for Alaska next month :)

      Thanks for stopping by Renu!

      Delete
  5. What an awesome sale! I haven't read any Cabot or Green yet but they are both on my radar! Happy Reading! Thanks for stopping by my Added to the Bookshelf post!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible. Luckily a lot of the books weren't my kind of thing or I'd have ended up with waaaaay more than 5 :)

      Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

      Delete
  6. The Works is very dangerous for book shopping! I always leave there with at least one book I didn't know I wanted before I went in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I wasn't even looking for anything in particular and thought I'd just browse...and came out with 5 books!

      Thanks for stopping by Mel :)

      Delete
  7. Great haul!

    Personally I love the Works - Though I do try to limit the times I go in there because I always buy a stack of books!!

    Hope you have a great Sunday xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to limit my visits too. Waterstones I can walk out of without a book fairly easily, but you pretty much have to drag me out of the Works lol :)

      Thanks for stopping by and have a great Sunday x

      Delete
  8. Insatiable looks great, hope you love it.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Another UK Blogger! I love The Works, so many brilliant books! I need to get my hands on all of those books, especially Insatiable, Night School and Looking for Alaska. You really can't beat a deal.

    Thanks for stopping by My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The Works is an awesome shop :)

      Thanks for stopping by Emma!

      Delete
  10. I've read Night Watch but never got round to reading Day Watch. Looking forward to hearing what you think. I really need to see the movies, have heard they're very good from quite a few people now. Hope you have a good week and happy reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the movies but I have no idea whether they're close to the books or not. I hope you enjoy them when you watch them!

      Thanks for stopping by Victoria :)

      Delete
  11. So many cheap books!!!! Really need to read Looking for Alaska .. seems everyone has read it! Great haul :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked Looking for Alaska. Hope you like it too!

    Here's my Showcase Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I could use the Yoga to the Rescue book especially for the rage-a-holic part. lol. I just added John Green's book to my "to be read" list. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It's such a cute book although I've yet to actually use it. I really should though :)

      Delete
  14. Some great books Claire! I've only read one book by John Green before Looking For Alaska, and I really did enjoy it, so I hope you do too! Also I grew up reading Meg's books too, Insatiable is still one that I need to pick up! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy all your reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasprit! I'm really looking forward to reading it :)

      Delete
  15. 50p for John Green? Bargain! Must read Looking For Alaska this year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I just stood there blinking at the book for a minute thinking "huh?"

      Thanks for stopping by Kat :)

      Delete
  16. John Green is someone whose books I still need to pick up. The Fault in Our Stars has been on my bookshelf for a while (waiting to be read) but I haven't got any of his other books yet. By the way - Looking for Alaska for 50p??? That's amazing! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - so glad I gave into my urge to pop in for a browse. Everyone seems to love John Green so I figured for 50p there's pretty much no risk to giving him a go :)

      Thanks for stopping by Vicky!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva