Thursday 31 January 2013

January Wrap-Up/February TBR


My Monthly Wrap-Up posts are a place for me to talk about what I've read during the month as well as everything that has been going on at Project to be Read (including my reviews). It also provides a space for me to share this month's Best of the Bunch book and look forward to next month with my TBR pile :)

Looking back...

In January I read 15 full books which came to a total of 5948 pages, giving me an awesome start on my 2013 reading challenges!

I reviewed:
Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh
Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh
Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh
White Cat by Holly Black
Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
Montana Sky by Nora Roberts
Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Frostbite by Richelle Mead
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates
A Bite to Remember by Lynsay Sands

I also took part in the Bout of Books read-a-thon which was a ton of fun, as well as hosting my first Cooking the Books post and signing up for the Classic Double Challenge. I've even taken part in two memes: Showcase Sunday and Cover Characteristic.

I've even been debuting some gorgeous banners designed for me by Faye over at A Daydreamer's Thoughts. She is an awesome blogger and is now branching out into design :)

Best of the Bunch

Best of the Bunch is an awesome end-of-month meme created at Lyrical Reviews and now hosted by Sally at Always Lost in Stories. All you have to do is pick your favourite book of all the books you've read that month and share it with everyone.


My favourite book for January is Renegade by J.A. Souders.



Since the age of three, sixteen-year-old Evelyn Winters has been trained to be Daughter of the People in the underwater utopia known as Elysium. Selected from hundreds of children for her ideal genes, all her life she’s thought that everything was perfect; her world. Her people. The Law.



But when Gavin Hunter, a Surface Dweller, accidentally stumbles into their secluded little world, she’s forced to come to a startling realization: everything she knows is a lie.


Her memories have been altered.

Her mind and body aren’t under her own control.

And the person she knows as Mother is a monster.

Together with Gavin she plans her escape, only to learn that her own mind is a ticking time bomb... and Mother has one last secret that will destroy them all.
 
Just before Christmas I joined in with a Secret Santa book recommendation exchange on Goodreads. One of the recommendations I got was for Renegade and when I spotted a cheap copy on Amazon, I decided to snatch it up and give it a go.
 
Renegade is hands down one of the creepiest dystopians I've read and the underwater setting makes it incredibly unique. I adored Evie and Gavin and was glued to the page throughout - I only stopped reading when my nine week old nephew visited, and even then as soon as he dozed off for a nap I was back reading!
 
My review for Renegade is coming soon.

Looking forward...

In February, I'm hoping to read:


...as well as The Indigo Spell which I have on preorder!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout Claire! :-)

    WoW!! How did you manage to read 15 books?? I am in AWE of YOU! o-O
    You look like you got some good books coming up :D
    I have Renegade but haven't read it... may have to now :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that you read 15 books. I'm such a slow reader and I don't have a lot of time to read that reading 3.5 books this month was good for me. You're my hero, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you read some great stuff! I really enjoyed the Vampire Academy books, and A Bite To Remember was quite a good Argeneau book if memory serves me. (Though I still think Tall Dark and Hungry is likely my favorite.)

    If you're interested in seeing what I read in January, it can be found here, and my TBR list is going to be up tomorrow.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read Renegade so bad! You read the entire VA series, good for you! I still have to read Last Sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay- I got Renegade for Christmas and I can't wait to read it now :D
    You read some amazing books this month- I LOVE the Vampire Academy series and I'm dying to read Girl of Nightmares as well.
    February looks like it's going to be a good month too- Delirium and Unearthly are such amazing books! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva