Saturday 23 June 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday (20)


Shelf Candy Saturday is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Five Alarm Book Reviews where each Saturday bloggers defy the saying "never judge a book by its cover" and showcase one that really catches their eye. Covers play a huge role in the books I choose so it's great to have the opportunity to showcase the pretties :)

My shelf candy for this week is The Kitchen Witch by Annette Blair.


When Logan Kilgarven offers to help his neighbour Melody Seabright get a job at his TV station in exchange for babysitting his son, the last thing he expects is for Melody to bewitch the manager into giving her a cooking show. Melody is thrilled to have landed such an awesome job, but resisting the temptation of stuffed suit Logan isn't her only problem. The Kitchen Witch is an great idea for a show...as long as Melody can learn to cook.



I absolutely adore this book and it's cover. It fits the storyline incredibly well, especially as Melody has a real focus on fashion and that outfit looks just like something she'd wear. Even the tiny details like the cookbook (perfect for a witch who can't cook) fit well.

I love the simple, almost cartoon-y feel to it, particularly the cat (although honestly there should be two if you go by the book). It looks sketched out and I think it manages to stand out from the other photoshopped covers. This one is a contemporary romance (but is the first in a trilogy that ends up as paranormal romance - go figure) and it has a really unique look to it.

The oven, title, moon and stars are all foiled which adds a little something extra, especially as the other similar coloured parts (i.e. the silvers and reds) are matt so it creates a brilliant contrast. The white background also compliments the shinyness really well.

The one aspect I wish I could share with you is that it's a touchy feely book. Parts of the design are raised (Melody, the cat, the stove, the title and the moon) and you can even feel the individual roses on the dress as well as the pattern on the tights and the waves in her hair. It's the kind of book I could identify blindfolded just by feeling the front cover.

So what's your shelf candy this week?

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Claire. This is my first time seeing this cover. It is incredible. I love the colors, the high fashion feel, the splash of color on the counter and the cat. I love a textured cover. I am glad that you mentioned that since we obviously can not see that here. I just added it to my TBR so that I will remember to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! It's my favourite from the trilogy for sure :) It's such a shame there's no real way of showing texture through the internet, well other than videos of random book stroking!

      Delete
  2. I would be interested in seeing the book in person, so I could see the shiny parts of this illustration, and feel the raised parts. Interesting choice! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can Maria! It's soooo pretty :)

      Delete
  3. Great pick! I love it! I haven't seen this cover before but I love the look. I like the cooking scene, very domestic and the font of the title. I'm sure the textured cover is cool, so I'll try to see it in person next time I go!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love showing off little known covers. There are so many cute books out there that don't get noticed :)

      Delete
  4. Cool choice, I've read this book and I agree that the cover is very fitting for the book. I really like the title font and like you said, the stars and moon are a nice touch!

    I don't have a hard copy of this one, but I do have the second in the series so I'll be checking it out closer when I get home tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I like the cover of the second one too (and the third) but this one really stands out for me from the three...although the other two do have sparklies :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva