Saturday 16 June 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday (19)


Shelf Candy Saturday is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Five Alarm Book Reviews where each Saturday bloggers defy the saying "never judge a book by its cover" and showcase one that really catches their eye. Covers play a huge role in the books I choose so it's great to have the opportunity to showcase the pretties :)

One of the greatest love stories ever told, beautifully repackaged for a modern teen audience.

Cathy and Heathcliff, childhood friends, are cruelly separated by class, fate and the actions of others. But uniting them is something even stronger: an all-consuming passion that sweeps away everything that comes between them. Even death.

"My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks," said Cathy. "I am Heathcliff."


My shelf candy this week was inspired by The Windy Pages who featured the Twilight series as their shelf candy last week. I absolutely adore the Twilight inspired covers for classic novels, and I've picked out the Wuthering Heights cover as my overall fave. I love the dramatic lily on the cover with the creepy shadowy stairs behind, and the cover is the reason I've actually read Wuthering Heights.

The other Twilight-esque covers are:


I usually loathe the covers for classics as they are generally a case of find a painting from a somewhat accurate time period and just stick it on the front. A lot of the time the paintings aren't a good match and are frequently irrelevant to the storyline.

These on the other hand might be simple but they actually feature tiny details from the books themselves. Tess (from Tess of the D'Urbevilles) is a strawberry picker and a fire is caused by the careless use of a candle in Jane Eyre.

These are the first time I looked at a classic and thought "cool cover - I'd read that" and I can't be the only person. Strangely if you look at reviews on amazon a lot of people hate these covers due to the association with Twilight, and most of them claim you can't like Twilight and be capable of reading classics! Talk about judging people!

But I think classics need to be repackaged to make them look accessible to people and I adore these. The only one I don't own is Pride & Prejudice, and that is only because I have a gorgeous set of matching Austens which I'm hoping to feature in another Shelf Candy post.

So what's your shelf candy this week?

13 comments:

  1. It is interesting that we have both chosen classics. These are great Shelf Candy picks. I am a fan of black and red on a cover to begin with. That Wuthering Heights cover is my favorite. Isn't it wonderful when they release these with new covers? I think that it opens the door to a new generation of readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! I'd far rather have pretty modern covers than stuffy old-fashioned ones. I have some other classics I can't wait to feature with newer covers.

      Thanks for stopping by Steph :)

      Delete
  2. The second I saw that cover I thought Twilight! I agree that these are covers that would make me want to read a classic more. Although they look kind of dark so it might not make sense to make one like this for classics that are light like Little Women. I agree with Steph, I like the Wuthering Heights one the best! Here's My Shelf Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree these covers wouldn't work for something like Little Women, but they do work out for some of the darker classics.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those pesky typos!! Lol. Here's the corrected comment:

    Although the cover of "Wuthering Heights" looks very creepy, I do love it!! I think it's just amazing, in fact. It really gives a feel for the novel's overall depressing, angst-filled plot. I own a different, also Twilight-inspired, version of this novel.

    The only other cover I'm familiar with, and love, is the one for "Pride and Prejudice". I own this book, too. I also own a Twilight-inspired edition of "Jane Eyre', with a different cover. It has flowers on it.

    Great choices! Thanks for sharing!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on Wuthering Heights. I knew it was going to be creepy when I started reading but I was amazed how angsty it got.

      I didn't realise there were other Twilight inspired covers out there. Thats so cool!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. They are cute covers! I also adore the penguin pocket classic covers and the vintage (by random house) editions of classics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the Vintage covers. I've got a few of those and they are all awesome!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Claire!
    Thanks so much for the mention!! :)

    Love your shelf candy this week. I've seen P&P around but I hadn't seen the other two! I'm so glad you shared them! They look so beautiful and creepy! I have to agree I think the Wuthering Heights one is my favorite as well.

    Happy Shelf Candy day! And be sure to stop by to look at mine this week. It's black and blue instead of black and red! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration :) I love the simpler covers, especially when there are only a few colours.

      Delete
  7. I love all of the cover remakes for the classics! I just bought a new cover for Jane Eyre; it wasn't the one above but I may have to look for that one too :)

    P&P does remind me a bit of the Twilight covers, but that's ok since there's nothing wrong with the Twilight covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love modern covers on older books. I agree with you about the Twilight covers, they're really pretty.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva