Wednesday 30 November 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: Atom
ISBN: 978-1-907411-02-1
Pages: 341
Series: Revenants #1
Type: Young Adult Paranormal
Source: Purchased
Goodreads


After a tragic car accident kills their parents, Kate and her sister Georgia move to Paris to live with their grandparents. Kate is stuggling to adjust and trying to cut herself off from caring about others, until she meets Vincent Delacroix. Mysterious and charming, Vincent sweeps Kate off her feet but Kate soon realises that Vincent belongs to another world hidden within our own. Vincent's world is dark and dangerous, and Kate is left wondering how much she is willing to risk for another chance at love...

This is the first in the Revenants series from debut author Amy Plum and I must say on the whole I enjoed the book. The plot is cleverly done and has a steady, albeit moderate, pace. In some ways I wish there had been more action as she set up the two revenant factions brilliantly, but in others I'm glad she spent so much time creating a believable world for the characters to exist in. This does suffer a bit from first-in-a-series-itis and I did find it a little hard to keep my attention on the book. At times the writing seems overly formal which could be because this is the author's first book.

I loved the Parisian setting. Paris is one of my favourite places in the world and I'm so glad this really catches the feel of the city (as well as having accurate geography). Paris is as unique and beautiful as this book makes it out to be. This was one of the main things I was worried wouldn't be quite right, but I'm happy to say it is brilliantly done.

I really liked the characters. Kate seems like the standard wallflower heroine at first but soon reveals an inner core of strength and attitude that made me really like her. Vincent manages to pull off sweet but slightly obsessed without becoming creepy. I loved all the other revenants as well as each is unique and well-developed, as are Kate's family members. I wish Jules had been given more page time as he's brilliant.

One thing that really stood out for me is the uniqueness of the revenants (think nice non-gross heroic zombies). The author has not only created believable characters, but she's created two races of revenants - the good and the bad. The conflict between the two isn't limited to the standard good/evil fight, there's actually a personal history between a pair of key characters from their human lives. Usually all conflicts are based in the supernatural world so it's different to see a human grudge carried forward.

The ending is well done, as it ties up the major storylines of the book whilst leaving a few minor ones hanging for the next. It was only when sitting down to write this review that I noticed one or two little things had never been explained.

All in all this was a fun read and I'm looking forward to reading Until I Die.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 45/50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva