Sunday 23 December 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

mockingjay suzanne collinsTitle: Mockingjay
Author:
Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
ISBN: 978-1-407109-37-4
Pages: 453
Series: Hunger Games #3
Type: Young Adult Dystopian
Source: Purchased
Goodreads


Katniss Everdeen has managed to survive two rounds in the Hunger Games but she still isn't safe. A rebellion is unfolding and it seems everyone contributed to the plans apart from Katniss herself. District 13 is alive and they need Katniss's help in their rebellion against the Capitol. Katniss must become their Mockingjay no matter what the cost.

This is the third book in the Hunger Games series (after The Hunger Games and Catching Fire) and one I was really looking forward to after the dramatic end to the previous book. Unfortunately this failed to live up to my expectations and I was left feeling very disappointed. Parts of the storyline didn't work for me and while the tension did build towards the end, I was beyond disappointed in that.

The rebellion has been something that has interested me for a while so to see that in action was brilliant. The idea of dressing Katniss up was a clever way of playing on the Capitol's concepts and reclaiming the spectacle usually reserved for the Hunger Games. That said Katniss struggles to be more than a pawn in their plots and it was disappointing to see her exchange one manipulative group for another.

The love triangle was a problem for me again, even when Peeta isn't there. There were moments where I genuinelyy felt for Katniss but again she seems incapable of deciding what she wants. Gale is caught up with the rebellion and Peeta is caught with the Capitol so it is almost like the triangle is a way of showing the larger rebellion on a small scale. This is never really shown well which is even more disappointing to me as a reader.

The ending is the part of the book that I was most disappointed in. It is hard to discuss without spoilers but suffice to say I was horrified by the deaths of certain characters and even more so by the conclusion of the love triangle. Katniss entirely fails to make a decision at all and instead just goes along with what everyone else decides. Never before have I seen a love triangle concluded by what is geographically convenient and I truly hope never to see it again.

All in all this was an okay read and I'd recommend it if you are a fan of the series.

Plot: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Ending: 6/10
Enjoyment: 6/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 33/50

2 comments:

  1. I felt much the same at the end of Mockingjay. The resolution of the triangle left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth and really soured the whole series for me. There were so many better ways that Collins could have ended it. A bit sad really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I finished Mockingjay and I looked back over the trilogy in a whole new way. A very disappointing way to end.

      Thanks for commenting Lan :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva