Thursday 22 November 2012

The Prophet by Ethan Cross

Title: The Prophet
Author:
Ethan Cross
Publisher: The Story Plant
ISBN: 978-161188045-8
Pages: 414
Series: Shepherd Thriller #2
Type: Adult Thriller
Source: Received for Review
Goodreads


Francis Ackerman Jr, one of America's most prolific serial killers has gone to ground. Special Agent Marcus Williams was assigned to his case and has just moved on to the case of the Anarchist, a killer who drugs and kidnaps women before burning them alive. But while Marcus is desperately tracking the Anarchist in hopes of catching him before he strikes again, he is unaware that another figure is hiding behind the scenes. The Anarchist may be the killer, but he isn't the mastermind...the Prophet is out there and his ultimate plans are beyond imagination.

This is the second book in the Shepherd Thriller series (after The Shepherd), but there is plenty here for a new reader to enjoy. I haven't read the first in the series but there was enough backstory to help me understand what happened without info dumping or detracting from the current storyline which is densley plotted and packed with twists and turns. I didn't expect to be as glued to the page as I was, from the action packed start to the unexpected ending.

The writing style kept me sucked into the story and the book has a matter of fact way of addressing details (references to specific gun models e.g. ".40 caliber Glock 22") which add realism to the story but at times went over my head as they moved outside of my knowledge base. Each character has a distinct voice despite the relatively large cast and all the characters were really well written and fully formed. They came to life on the page and seemed incredibly vivid, and I found it easy to follow the action despite the changing viewpoints. In fact the killers' viewpoints all kept me reading and added a creep factor which I really liked.

One aspect I wasn't expecting and loved was the psychological angle which really explored the motivations and thought processes of the serial killers in the book. I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds so to see their mindsets explored was fascinating. The author also did a great job with the satanic angle managing to create a heap of tension with a creepy cult but without becoming overwrought or unrealistic. It's clear the author has done his research and his knowledge shines through the book enhancing the storyline.

All in all, this was a great read and I'll definitely read more by this author.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 45/50

6 comments:

  1. Outstanding review and post. Thank you so much!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire,

    Thanks for reading The Prophet, and I’m very excited to hear how much you enjoyed it. You've crafted a very informative and intriguing review. Have a great day!

    Ethan Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ethan :) I really enjoyed The Prophet so thank you for creating such an amazing world in your books!

      Delete
  3. I liked this book.

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/10/book-prophet-2012-ethan-cross.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did too. Thanks for stopping by Teena :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva