Saturday 25 August 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday (23)


Shelf Candy Saturday is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Maria at A Night's Dream of Books where each Saturday bloggers defy the saying "never judge a book by its cover" and showcase one that really catches their eye. Covers play a huge role in the books I choose so it's great to have the opportunity to showcase the pretties :)

My shelf candy for this week is the Darkness Rising trilogy (so far) by Kelley Armstrong.


These are the UK covers for first two books in the Darkness Rising trilogy and I'm really hoping the as yet unreleased cover for The Rising matches.

These covers have a really unique look and I love the doubled up girl look to the covers with the silhouette in the background contrasting with the girl in the foreground. The images in the silhouettes also reveal the settings for each book, with the woodlands and circling crows from one specific scene in The Gathering and a girl isolated in the woods in The Calling.

I really like the simple colour scheme for each book with one in green and the other in blue. It also means that the titles which are metallic silver (extra points for shiny-ness!) stand out really well, although it's worth noting that it is the title, series and author on The Gathering but only the title and series on The Calling for some reason.

The covers aren't matt or gloss but a kind of soft touch almost neoprene feel. Not only is it a great tactile feel, but it also makes the books comfortable to hold for long periods of time (handy given I read each of these in a single sitting).

If you'd like to know what I thought of these two, check back tomorrow for my review of The Gathering and Monday for my review of The Calling.

So what's your shelf candy this week?

4 comments:

  1. Claire!
    Awesome covers! I love them! Ii totally agree. The colors and the settings are fantastic. They are so soft and I will come back again to hear your review. I really want to know more about this book!
    Great pick Claire!
    and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! These are GORGEOUS covers!!! The concept is totaly unique and BRILLIANT. What a combination of images!! The silhouettes that contain the backgrounds and girls' faces are extremely eye-catching. I'm going to check out the US covers as well, and will buy the ones I consider most beautiful.

    I love the colors, as well. The lettering is also perfect, and doesn't interfere with these striking images.

    Thank you so much for participating in this meme, and sharing these incredible covers with us!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I almost forgot...of course, I'll be back to check out your reviews of these books!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah mama! I've never seen these covers before but now that I have... I love them! They're completely unique!! Great choice!

    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I read and cherish every comment, and always try to comment back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamor Amour by Irene Alexeeva